Sunday, November 15, 2009

Toppling the Barricades


Oops! Suki stole a pancake out of the garbage can in the kitchen! Time to buy a new garbage can with a tight lid that can’t be opened by an intelligent golden retriever who is perpetually eager for food.

Hooray! A surprising phone call came last night from Yossi, the director of the pool in Nahariya, informing me that I now have permission to bring in my guide dog. He anxiously asked if I was planning to take the dog into the water with me. I told him I was not. So we won the battle of the swimming pool without firing a single shot (or hardly.) All’s well that ends well.

Another surprising phone call came from the head of the taxi stand in Nahariya where the incident involving Benny took place on Thursday. Jackie asked to apologize in the name of the taxi stand and understood that the incident, which involved a member of the company, was all a misunderstanding: that Assad, the dispatcher, “doesn’t hear very well” and that Benny had intended to take me but had to drive another client instead. I accepted the apology and voiced hope that the company would continue to provide good service as it had in the past. I sensed, however, that some game was going on here: Jackie was attempting to cover for Benny, who had himself not apologized, and didn’t want him reported. \No matter. The fax was sent, and I will continue to receive good taxi service. Again - all’s well that ends well.

After a long haul to the mall, I decided to get Suki and my vet acquainted. Suki tipped the scales at exactly 30 kilograms, and we will be back at the end of December for her vaccination against Park Worm.

Expanding our repertoire of walks on the moshav, I continued towards the end of our road. We first encountered the four or five obnoxious pinchers that bark ferociously and incessantly every time we pass. After that we came to the yard where there are no less than seven dogs, barking frantically and running along the fence. Suki did not like this very much, but I coaxed her to continue on until we were faced with two dogs standing in the middle of the road. That was it. Suki remained steadfastly planted in place, and my command to go straight was to no avail. There was no way I could possibly force 30 kilograms of golden retriever to move: she resolutely stood glued to the spot. I have no idea whether she was afraid of these dogs, trying to protect me, or both, but she was not to be budged, and I finally gave up, turned around, and returned to do our usual walk around the block. The only other time Suki would not move was in the avocado orchard, where she saw, sensed, or smelled something and would not go forward – something that still remains a mystery to me. A snake? A hedgehog? A porcupine? Who knows. Maybe I had better trust Suki’s judgement..

No comments:

Post a Comment