Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Reunions and Goodbyes

Our final walk was, according to Ami, the most challenging, but for me it was far less difficult than the night walk in Rehovot or the walk in the rain through Rishon. Ami dropped us off in the middle of the crowded market in Ramle. We were given instructions to walk through the market (no simple matter with the numerous stalls, shoppers, and obstacles), find the fence at the end, and turn left on Herzl Street. From there we were left on our own to find our way to the Regional Courthouse on Weizman Street. Starting out with Suki through the crowded market, walkie-talkie in hand (in case we really got lost and had to notify Ami), Suki and I were accosted with the noise and smells of the market. Fruits and vegetables were a blur of red, yellow, green, and orange as I passed stalls, and Suki maneuvered through people with carts and baskets. I began walking down Herzl and asked directions. "You've got a way to go, about 300 meters, and then turn left." Was that all? I encountered Moshe and Liron on the way but we left each other, eager to accomplish the task on our own. When I turned left a woman offered me help and I assured her that I could find my way in. "But there are stairs there," she replied, concerned.

"It's all right. My dog will help me on the stairs."

I mounted the steps, pulled out the walkie-talkie, and yelled "I'm here!" and sat down next to Liron. That was it. We were now, hopefully, equipped to begin working with a guide dog wherever we went.

Returning to Beit Oved we began the bureaucracy of signing forms, receiving the dogs' medical reports, a nd signing membership papers to the center. We then began a summary of the course.

I spoke to Ami, but felt my words were inadequate. I told him that I now felt that I was in control of my life again, that no matter what my vision was life in the future I felt confident that I could handle it, that I had received their product that was amazing and stunning, and that I felt I had all the tools I needed to work with Suki. I also said that even though the course was over I realized that this was the beginning, not the end, and that we had years of our lives together. "I want to say thank you," I said with tears of happiness of which I was unashamed. It was impossible to express everything I felt upon receiving this lovely, gentle, and intelligent dog as mine to have.

At 5:30 our guests arrived - the families who had raised our dogs as puppies. Ayelet, Nurit, Neta, and Nir walked into the room and Suki's response was overwhelming: she stood on her hind legs and began licking Nir, and tranced with excitement. Anyone who things that dogs don't remember people from a few months ago are dead wrong. It was an exciting meeting and they were all stroking Suki and hugging her. We exchanged phone numbers and emails, and they were given a framed photo of me standing with Suki. They deserved much much more and if they want I will be glad to bring them Suki for a visit.


An Emotional Reunion: Suki, now a Full Fledged Guide Dog, at her Reunion |With the Teitelman Family who Fostered her as a Puppy


Our bags are now packed and thank goodness I am being driven home tomorrow. I don't think I oculd make it home on the train tomorrow with my suitcase, knapsack, my bouzouki, three kilo of dog food, a sack of supplies that I bought in the pet store, the three-foot high ficus tree that I sculptured with Ramael, the bag of souveniers and presents from the shop at the Center, and, oh yes, Suki

No comments:

Post a Comment