Thursday, November 19, 2009

It's all Worth it.


There are two responses to a guide dog in public: either one of curiosity, admiration, and affection, or that of rejection, discrimination, and downright closed-mindedness. In the short time I have had Suki and traveled with her in public, I have experienced both.
Standing in the train station waiting for a friend, I was approached by someone who asked politely if I needed help. Going into a store (once again to buy yet another purse?) a woman got down and proceeded to caress and kiss Suki, saying she had one at home just like her. (That I doubt). People driving in the moshav stop, say hello, “Titchadeshi” and say good luck. The heartwarming responses of people who simply like to look at a beautiful white dog are lovely.

But, er, not everyone has been nice. This is what all guide dog owners have to contend with. Getting on the bus this morning, the driver rudely informed me, “Dogs drive me crazy.” “They might make you crazy, but I need my dog to get around,” I replied, trying very hard to match his rudeness.
I thought I was through with the problematic cab drivers but I guess I was wrong. All the way home the driver who took me threatened to take extra for taking my dog. I informed him that I was not going to pay him any extra money because it was against the law to charge for a guide dog. He then went on to say that if you get on a plane with a baby, you have to pay for the baby, so why shouldn’t I pay for my dog in a taxi? When we informed him that the Knesset had passed the laws requiring that blind people with guide dogs be allowed on all public transport, and that no charge is to be asked for taking a guide dog, he proposed that blind people simply be offered some extra money every month to pay for transport. “Why should I lose money?” he demanded. I wondered how this quiet, well behaved dog lying on the floor of the back seat was making him lose money and decided not to argue any more.
He went on and on, and I just let him rant. One of these days I am gonna lose it, and heaven help the driver who is around when I do. I hardly think that this well behaved dog, who is clean, brushed, perfumed, and sits quietly on the floor of the taxi all the way home, deserves such treatment. It's frustrating, but it's all worth it.

I’ve seen people in taxis behave a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment