Saturday, November 21, 2009

Here we go again...

Yesterday's visit to Haifa was yet another opportunity for the family to rain their affection and admiration on Suki, who behaved beautifully on the train on the way and crowded busses on the way home. Suki gazed out at the view from Itai and Hilla's terrace and then settled down in the sun for a rest.



We then piled into the car and went out for veggie burgers. "I'm sorry, but there's a problem with your bringing your dog in here," chanted the waitress at the entrance. Usual explanation, and she apologized and then bent down when we were seated to pet and admire Suki. It was not long before the shift head waitress sauntered over. Uh oh, I thought, here we go again.

"I'm sorry, but there's a problem with your dog here in the restaurant."

I offered the usual explanations, and added that if she would like to see the law I would be glad to point it out to her on the Internet.

"Oh, I have no problem," she quickly retaliated. "But the other customers might have a problem."

"If the other customers have a problem with a guide dog, it's time they learned the law as well," I told her. "It's their problem, not mine."

Itai and Hilla were enraged and Hilla wanted to get up and leave, but I told herwe should sit and stay right there. We have decided to eat lunch here and it's our right to stay. The shift head scuttled away, obviously aware that she had made a mistake, but too busy dealing with her ego to come and apologize. Itai promised to phone the restaurant the next day and ask them to make their staff aware of the law.

Meanwhile, a family with two young children - the other customers who were supposedly having probolems with a guide dog in a restaurant, sat down at the table next to us. The children immediately wanted to pet Suki and I gave them permission. I explained to them that I didn't see well and that Suki was a special dog who helped me get around.

"Oh, I know!" exclaimed the little girl excitedly. "I learned about that in kindergarten."

Some kids are definitely smarter and more open-minded than some adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment