Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Suki Gets to Know Nahariya

It was finally time to get Suki acquainted with Nahariya. Ami - now suffering from a case of laryngitis from three weeks of instruction - arrived, and we set off, parked the car at the beginning of the main street, and started out on the route all the way to the pool. In my bag I had a letter that I planned to deliver to the manager of the pool, which has so far denied me entrance with Suki.

I am familiar with every store and street in downtown Nahariya, but walking through town I suddenly became aware of things in greater detail: the pattern of the stoplights, which curbs are sloping, which alleyways are liable to have cars suddenly appearing out of nowhere, and where each lamp post and telephone pole are located.

Upon arrival at the pool we were told rudely by the guard that we were not to go in with a dog and that we were blocking the entrance. We asked politely for Yossi, the manager, to come out and talk to us. We got the usual pile of rubbish - no dogs allowed. I have now written letters to the mayor, the city superintendent, and the head of the sports department. Hopefully this will work: if not it will have to hit the press, the radio, and other factors. I would prefer to solve this in a civil manner and remain on good terms with the staff of the pool.

From there we continued back up the main street. Suki sensed a car coming out of an alleyway that Ami and I did not hear and stopped. She was reprimanded only once - for not leading me around two pedestrians who ran into me. Ami then left, and I decided to remain in town to run a few errands. Stopping at the pet store I bought a bag of treats for Suki and arranged to have plants delivered for the fish pond, stopped in the camera store, and went into the bicycle shop, where I purchased a battery-operated clip on red flashing light to hook onto Suki's halter for night walking! Suki was admired and petted in all three places.

At the bus stop I sat down and commanded Suki to sit. She sat down quietly at the end of the bench, but a woman at the far end shouted "Slicha, slicha, (Excuse me, excuse me!)" at me as if to imply that my entering the bus stop with a dog was unacceptable. She quickly got up and left to stand outside. Unfortunately even a well-behaved dog - obviously a guide dog in harness - outside on public property - is too much for some people. The bus ride home was uneventful and Suki retired to her bed for a well-deserved rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment