Friday, November 27, 2009

Taxi Drivers' Chutzpah Tel Aviv Style


Yesterday’s trip to Tel Aviv was uneventful and all too predictable. Suki was well-behaved on the train and in the restaurant where we went for dinner. I put my granddaughter Rotem to bed and then called a taxi, stating specifically to the dispatcher that I was traveling with a guide dog.

“Five minutes.”

After ten minutes a taxi drove by, and then another and another. Not wanting to miss the last train north, I called the dispatcher again to inform her that no taxi had arrived.

“But our driver said he picked up a passenger by mistake at Sirkin 22.”

Yeah, right...here we go again...


“NO, I'm sorry. He didn’t pick up anyone.
He passed me by and didn't stop.”

Somebody was lying like a rug. Annoyed, I explained that I had a train to catch and that if I specified that I had a guide dog with me, would she please make sure that the driver she sent would be willing to take me and not cause trouble. After I had already waited for 20 minutes another taxi finally showed up, I made the train, and met my son Itai at the station to boot.

Suki Learns to Pick up the Mail…Or Almost…
I decided to teach Suki that sometimes we want to turn right to the mailboxes instead of going directly into the grocery store. The Russian assistant stood in the entry of the store in fascination as I taught Suki “Doar” and she headed for my mailbox, which is conveniently at the end of the row and just about doggie nose height! After three or four times (and a few tidbits) I saw sure she had it down pat. Does she know that the mailbox is number 151? Er, I think not…

A few more things to learn…How to handle a phone call when you are working with a guide dog and the person on the other end of the line hears a conversation interjected with “Forward!” “Slow down!” “Straight!” and other unrelated matter…

How to handle old ladies
Reminiscent of Ami’s imitations of Sabochka chorosho!” old ladies have to offer their own two agorot when you are out with a dog. If you are out with a baby, they will tell you that he or she is dressed too warmly, not enough, she can’t breathe in that carrier, put a hat on him…why are you feeding her ice cream? etc. With a dog people are no less generous with advice.

“Your dog is too thin. You should feed her more.”

“You really should let me give her a cookie…she deserves a treat once in a while…”

and (while standing and filling up Suki’s portable water bowl at the drinking fountain in the train station…”Your dog is thirsty. You should give it some water..”

And I thought I was the one who couldn’t see…

Living in Israel means everyone has to get involved and give good advice…

And what to say when someone tells you, “I’ve got a dog just like that at home…”
I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment