Thursday, November 5, 2009

Homecoming!

It is hard to believe that just 12 hours ago I was still at Beit Oved, packing, eating breakfast, and going from one staff member to the other saying goodbye. All three of us could say little but we all felt the same: we were excited and eager to begin our new lives with our dogs, but more than a bit apprehensive, afraid to leave the hothouse-like, safe surroundings of Beit Oved where we had been pampered and cared for for three weeks, bereft of all responsibilities except to learn how to work with our new companions. It was not time to say goodbye and to step out into the world.

Two vehicles stood open and waiting: one would be driven by Ami who would take Liron and Moshe home, and the other by Roi who would take me back to Ben Ami and give me an additional day of coaching on Sunday. Refael appeared with our sculpted ficus trees and helped load them and our other belongings into the car. Members of the staff came out to say their goodbyes to the dogs they had worked with and to wish us good luck, and Moshe, Liron, Ami, and I posed for a last photo of what Ami now terms the first clicker training course. Emotional goodbyes were said, promises to email and write, and we were off.



Roi and I chatted as we drove down Road 6, and Roi advised me on how to best handle the first meeting between Suki, Nuala, and Saoirse. I was apprehensive - I would now be totally responsible for Suki, and the open fields and orchards of Ben Ami and the front yard would be all too tempting for an active, curious dog if the front door was inadvertantly left open for a moment!

Two hours after we left Beit Oved we pulled into the front yard. I took Suki and led her into the house for the first time, allowing her to explore all he rooms at will. We then returned to the front yard, where she had her first encounter with Saoirse and Nuala. There were a few frisky moments, bgut later in the day Saoirse and Suki were seen lying calmly side by side, a big black dog and a big white one.

Right now it all sdeems more than a bit overwhelming - I find it hard to believe that I will be able to do anythying else all day but care for dogs! I imagine things will get easier in time, and all in all, I think we got off to a pretty good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment