Friday, May 21, 2010

New People and Places


We were delighted to hear that our hosts for lunch in the Druze village of Yarka permitted me to come with Bracha for lunch. They said that they liked dogs. After all, it was their private house, and therefore asking permission to bring me was the polite thing to do. So when we got there I lay down where Bracha put me in the corner and behaved beautifully throughout the meal and visit, to prove to them that they had made the right decision. Even all the children wanted to hold me and pet me, so we went outside and took pictures of everyone standing outside together. I hope they invite us back again.


The people in the supermarket werten't so nice at the beginning. When we stopped there the guards at the entrance would not let me in. Bracha started whipping out the little cards with our picture and the laws written on them, and soon the manager came around. After a phone call, we were politely allowed in. They said they had never seen a guide dog before. Bracha politely told them that now they knew and that if anyone else came with a guide dog in the future they would know what to do. One of the guards insisted on accompanying us through the store. Whether this was to help Bracha find what she wanted, or to make sure I didn't snitch a sausage from the meat counter, I don't know, but no matter. By the time we left, everyone wanted to pet me and was asking my name. So I got over the insult of being supervised by a guard while walking through the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment