Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Going where I don't Belong

Bracha has wisely begun to ignore the grouchy people who look at us and comment, "What? A dog in the clinic?" or "What's this? They allow dogs at the pool?" If they don't like it, they can talk to us directly instead of acting as if we can't hear them but know that we can. But I must admit I overstepped my bounds when I casually got up when Bracha did not tie me up in the locker room and wandered out. I decided to explore the pool building, and slipped into the adjacent door. And there I was in the men's locker room! Bracha couldn't go in to get me out, so she stood in the doorway and whistled. One of the guys called that I was taking a shower! But I soon trotted out again. After all, I am a girl and really belong on the other side with Bracha.

And Bracha has promised to buy me shoes! They will be good to have when the summer days make the pavement too hot to walk on and I have to really trot to keep my feet from getting burned.


To clip or not to clip? So far, we have chosen not to. Not only does Ami not recommend it, but I can't stand the way it looks. Evidently golden retrievers have a double coat, and that undercoat comes off in the summer leaving relatively little hair. And the fur also serves as an insulating layer against heat and protects the dog from direct rays of the sun. And clipping might lead to hot spots if the dog scratches, so that does it. No haircut for Suki. And not surprisingly, the ones who say I should get her hair cut are the ones who object to shedding, or the ones who make money from grooming dogs...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bracha,

    I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your adventures. I've spent time living in Israel, your blog gives me a different perspective...

    I don't know if it's available in Israel (or if it might be worth ordering via mail and shipped) but I use something called "musher's secret" for my dog. http://musherssecret.net/index1.html
    It worked on the hot new york city streets and now in the cold chicago winters too.

    I found dog boots never stayed on and imagine that would be a challenge for a person who is visually impaired.

    B'hazlacha,

    Sophie's human

    ReplyDelete