Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hard Traveling

We are used to getting on the train and having a leisurely journey all the way to Tel Aviv and back. But this time we had to take the bus because there were no trains from Nahariya. I don't like busses very much. The steps getting on and off are sometimes very steep and then there was that driver who shut the door on me last week. And there is very little room under the seat for me to lie down and stretch out. Just about the only good thing about taking the bus to Haifa is the escalator in the bus station!

It was a very hot day and there was a dry wind blowing. Bracha kept giving me water and it was never enough. After a few minutes I would get thirsty again and she would give me more.

When we walked out of the bus station in Haifa the guard at the gate told Bracha that there were no trains to Tel Aviv Either, and that we would have to go all the way by bus! It was so hot that there had been a fire along the tracks and there were no trains. So we went back into the bus station. There were so many people waiting for the bus that it was hard for me to stand and wait. Bracha gave me a drink of water, but it was very hot and people were the way they get when it is hot and they are in a hurry. Dogs just lie down on a hot day and go to sleep. People get hot and push each other and shout. They just don't know how to do things right.

Anyway, Bracha was afraid I'd get stepped on and decided to take action.

"I'm standing here with a guide dog. Will someone please let me on the bus before she gets stepped on?" she shouted. A man told some other people to step aside and we got on the bus. There was a man on the bus who was still shouting and angry despite the fact that he was already on the bus and had a seat, and he shouted at Bracha that she had a lot of nerve taking a dog on the bus. Bracha gave him one of her curt replies. "If you have a problem with my dog, than get off and wait for the next bus." The man was still shouting and some other people started telling him to be quiet. Finally we sat down, after another woman had left the seat empty because she was afraid of me. Everyone was very hot and angry. I lay down and did the most sensible thing. I went to sleep.

But when we got to Tel Aviv and Bracha and I got off the bus, suddenly the man shouted again, "Lady, I'd like to apologize."

"Apology accepted," said Bracha, and we got off the bus. I guess he realized he'd made a bad mistake by telling a person with a guide dog not to get on a bus. I think he should have done what dogs do on a hot day – just lie down and quietly go to sleep.

We finally got home late at night and I could finally settle down in my own bed after being woken up every time we had to switch busses. And this morning I got to go to school again! Bracha talked to the kids about me and showed me off and they were very impressed when I walked around in harness. And the most exciting thing there was that a man brought another dog who knew how to sniff out drugs. He put a tiny bag of drugs in a boy's pocket, and the dog ran around barking until he found the boy with the drugs in his pocket.

I guess he had to work hard to learn how to do that just like I had to work hard to learn to be a guide dog. But I think I like my job better.

No comments:

Post a Comment