Sunday, May 23, 2010

Marking and Mischief

Bracha here, contemplating on the ability of a guide dog to assimilate knowledge as to all objects of one type as opposed to one localized object. Suki definitely knows that if I say "kisay" she has to find any empty chair - whether it is on the train platform, a moving bus, or a bus stop. She goes for it. A chair is a place for me to sit down, and she puts her nose on it, or if it's on a bus, she turns in at the first empty seat!

We also discovered that this is true regarding ATM machines. I told Suki to go left to "bank" and she turned towards a bank we don't usually go to and neaded for the nearest ATM machine. Good dog.

It is now time to start on trash cans. This is tougher because some are green, some are white, some are bins, some are round, but, well, we'll see what Suki can do.

I feel really bad about this afternoon after Bracha wrote such nice things about me in the morning. But, after being a guide dog in the city in the morning, I had to be a, er, regular dog in the afternoon. Every route we take I manage to find a broken pipe and lots of mud. It wasn't quite as deep this time as it was last time, so I managed to only get up to my chest in the stuff, but I was pretty muddy. And this time Bracha hauled out the camera!

I guess she would have remained in a good mood if I hadn't gotten into mischief when she was in the shower after cleaning me up. I got up on the table where the cat food was and was having a quiet munch when Bracha came out. One loud NO@" and I was down, in the house, and one louder "MITAH!" and I was lying on my bed with my head on my paws and Bracha was turned with her back to me, arms crossed, and looking angry. After about ten minutes I got up and slunk over to her and put my head on her knee and looked up with my big dark eyes and you know how it is. That was the end of it. I got fed, but a half of a cup less to make up for my little escapade. And now I don't think I'll be allowed in the orchard again until the water dries up. Bracha is getting a bit tired of washing me. And that shampoo is rather expensive, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment