Saturday, December 4, 2010

Fire and Water


It's been a busy week. There was little time for hiking or swimming with Nuala, but Bracha took me to two more schools. At the first one I met my friend Yuni, as well as Yudka (I think she speaks Russian!), Norma, and another guide dog named Chica. Some of the people let the children walk with their dogs, but Bracha does not approve of this, and only let some kids take me on leash to do busy at the edge of the school yard. I had to sit and listen as Bracha talked to the children, and they were pretty noisy, but I had it easy. The other dogs had to walk through an obstacle course again and again. But later in the week we went to a school and only Bracha and I were there. Bracha talked to the kids and the teachers said they were more quiet than they ever were in class. That's because they were so interested in me! Now, these kids were smart! They asked a lot of interesting questions and Bracha answered them and we showed them how much better walking with a dog is than walking with a cane.
Now on the way back something pretty scary started going on. Deep inside me, as in all animals, there is a fear of fire and smoke. And when we took the bus from the school back to Haifa there was a strong smell of smoke in the air and sure enough, the whole big mountain was on fire! I felt very unhappy and skittery and kept gazing out the window, and so were all the other people on the bus.
We finally got to Tel Aviv and people lit candles and everyone started giving out presents. Bracha gave the Rotem an umbrella that she could color on with markers, and Rotem started decorating it right away, but there is still no rain, only wind and fire outside. And then I got a present, too! Saba and Savta gave me a doughnut - shaped chew toy and a little bag of treets! I was so happy that I settled down right then and there in the middle of the carpet and went to work on the chew toy.
And even on the train on the way back from Tel Aviv there were still flames and I smelt smoke. I hope they put that fire out soon. I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment