Friday, November 26, 2010

School Again

Bracha took me to school again. This was a special school that had little buildings for classrooms, and they even had a round classroom that was very special. But I enjoyed it all because I got a lot of attention and petting. Larry and a new friend, Tommy, also came, and the three of us were very impressive. Then Bracha and I had to get up in front of all the children and walk through the obstacle course. I'm not sure why we do this: I already know how to walk an obstacle course and things that are much harder. But Bracha and Eli insisted, so I walked through, even did it again for the second group of children. but when Bracha commanded me to turn around and walk back through it again the other way, I just couldn't figure it out. I thought she had made a mistake and I'd better turn her around and keep going in the same direction and besides, I was getting a little tired of it. And to make things even more difficult there was a cat that kept appearing on the edge of the lawn. Well, Bracha didn't like the fact that I was told to go forward through the obstacle course again and I decided to stand still!
"You stubborn golden retriever! Kadima! This isn't the time for stubbornness!"
Oh, there was that cat again. I stood my ground.
"Psssst, Suki, Kadima!" Bracha meant business. There were 150 children watching us and I was supposed to make a good impression of an obedient and dependable guide dog, so I decided that fun and distraction would have to be reconciled for the sake of publicity, so I went back through the obstacle course again. What do they think I am? A newly trained dog?
Well, I guess it was worth it. At the end they gave me a little bag of treats with a note that said "Suki, you are a wonderful and excellent guide dog." I was so happy! They even gave Bracha some home-baked cookies too because they knew she could not eat mine.
The only thing I regret about this visit is that when they took us on the tour of the community and showed us the lovely lake with the little bridge over it and the green lawn next to it, I was not allowed to go for a swim! It would have been paradise! But when Bracha and I stood on the little bridge she looked down and petted me and I knew she was thinking that if she could, she would have let me off leash right then and there!

No comments:

Post a Comment