Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's a Long Way Off

Now, I know it's a long way off. But Bracha talked to me about my retirement when I finish working. I think the reason she had it on her mind was because she talked to two other women. One of them had a dog who worked until she was 14 and went on to the place where guide doggies go. Another is still working and he's 11! She doesn't believe in retiring dogs at all!

Now, I guess it's nice to be with your owner but I can't imagine that I'll have the energy when I'm old to go running around the way Bracha and I do. Today, for example, we got lost in the suburb of Yoseftal going to the clinic. Bracha thought it would be nicer for us to walk through the neighborhood rather than along the highway, but we took a wrong turn and soon we were exploring new streets where we had never been before. It took us almost an hour to get there, and I had to work hard all the way.

The other woman Bracha talked to was just about to retire her dog. She was not seeing well and could no longer work as a guide dog , and they had a little apartment and could not keep two large dogs. They were going to give the retired dog to a family who would give her a loving home, but it would be far away. The new family was about to come see her and decide whether or not to take her and give her a new home.

Now I'm not sure I like the sound of this either. Go live with someone else? Work hard all my life until I can't work any more? But Bracha got down on the floor next to me like she does when we have to have a really serious talk. And she told me something wonderful. She has two dogs now. Before she had three. So there would always be room for me here - even if I have to retire and Bracha gets another dog to help her get around. I can live a life of leisure when I retire years and years from now. And I will always live here with her. We have plenty of room. She will never give me away ever. That made me so happy that I just licked her face and closed my eyes and sighed and went back to sleep. And what was that about going to the beach for a run tomorrow?

But why am I wondering about these things now? I'm going to be three in another month and a half! I have lots and lots of years to work yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment