Friday, December 17, 2010

Excuse me, but you're breaking the Law.

Here we were, entering the department store in Nahariya when suddenly the security guard stopped us and said that we were not allowed inside. This was new. We had never had any trouble here before. No doubt a new guard unaware of the law. Bracha sighed, pulled out her little card, and explained.

"excuse me, but what you are doing is against the law. This is a guide dog for the blind. She's allowed everywhere, without exception."

The guard grudgingly looked at the card.

"What can I tell you? I can't let you in."

"What can you tell me?" replied Bracha. "You can tell me good morning and please come in just like everyone else." Meanwhile a woman, impatient with the doorway being blocked, shoved her way through.

""All right, all right, why are you shouting?"

"I'm not shouting," said Bracha. I'm simply telling you that I have a right to shop here just like everyone else."

Bracha selected some socks and paid for them, and then asked the checkout lady where she could find the store manager. Uh oh. Here we go again. Su up the escalator we went to the little office. There Bracha asked for the manager, but he was not there. She explained the problem. The woman immediately apologized and said she would take care of the matter. She called down to the guard and asked him why he had shouted at Bracha.

"When she leaves, you are to apologize to her."

Bracha asked her to please tell the manager that each new security guard should be instructed about the law and left. And sure enough, when we left the store the guard apologized.

No comments:

Post a Comment