Wednesday, April 21, 2010

No Steak for Me?

Usually there is no meat around here because Bracha doesn't eat it. But yesterday when everyone came for Independence Day lunch there was not only meat around. Bracha was actually cooking it over a fire! And when everyone started eating it and people asked if they could give me the bones, I perked up my ears from inside my Elizabethan hat (yep, I'm still stuck with it but Bracha says only a couple more days). Anyway, Bracha said no. But to give her credit, she asked people not to give Nuala any, either. I guess she felt that it would be unfair if Nuala got steak bones and I was not allowed any because I'm a guide dog and there are strict rules about my getting table tidbits and people food. So there was nothing left to do but sit and dream about steak while the wonderful odor (which Bracha can't stand) wafted over the yard. I lay down, put my head with my Elizabethan hat on my front paws, and went to sleep dreaming of steak and spicy hot dogs (which I'm sure would make me feel rather, er, unwell.)

But I did have a lot of fun being petted and fussed over and listening to people marvel at how well-behaved I am. And Julie, the funny little dog that I met at Sarid at Pesach was there, too. Julie is a….now let's see if I can get this right…a calve a leer King Charles Spaniel. She looks like a toy that needs to have batteries inserted in order to make her jump, and her ears are so long that sometimes she actually trips over them! Far as I'm concerned, all she is good for is looking cute, which she does very well. But I don't think she could guide a mouse. I wonder what King Charles did with a dog like that? I guess she'd be good for sitting in his lap while he sat on his throne and told everyone what to do.

I did spend far too much time tied up on the patio to keep me from wandering off into the avocado orchard, but we did get out for a good run and Bracha took off my hat so that I could have a clear view. And today when she asked me if I wanted to go "run run run run run " I jumped right up. Yep, I knowhat that means. It means off-harness and off-leash in the fields!

No comments:

Post a Comment