Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Mystery Lurking at the Gate

Suki has been becoming easier and easier to work with. We seem to be moving closer and closer to being that “team” that everyone talks about. She anticipates many things: she leads me to the bench at bus stops, and yesterday we boarded a bus and before I could tell her to move into an empty seat, she found one, turned into it, and lay down on the floor. We have been to the pet store near Yael’s house only once, but when I approached it to buy a small sack of dog food to keep at Yael’s house, she pulled towards it eagerly. No doubt that in addition to remembering the location of the store, she also remembered the treats that the owner had given me for her. For Suki, food is a great incentive.

Suki’s great love for escalators - encouraged by Ami’s positive reinforcement during her training - has only increased with time. Each time we approach one, she eagerly pulls towards it, and stands on the metal plate in anticipation. Then we step on and the tail starts wagging as she gazes at the view of the ground below dropping away as we ascend. If she could, she’s shout “Wheeeeee!” She’s like a kid on a merry-go-round at an amusement park. She does, however, have a mind of her own, as I was warned when I asked what it would be like to have a golden retriever as a guide dog. She attempts to go places that she likes such as the basketball court or the pet store, the bakery (maybe she likes the smell and is hoping for a tidbit) and turns reluctantly away when cued to go elsewhere. I’m sure these places are well-etched into Suki’s mind.

However, there is something at the gate in the entrance to Ben Ami that makes Suki pull the “I won’t go” stunt. She actually sat down and refused to move. Since she did this on the side of the highway there was no way we could remain there, and I had to grab her harness and pull her up until we reached the safety of the sidewalk. This is obviously not acceptable, but there is something there that is spooking her. I have decided I will have to go there with a person who can see what is going on and maybe we can figure out what is bothering her.

No comments:

Post a Comment