Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Suki!

The day that we met we were both scared and shy.
You looked a bit anxious, and hey, so was I!
You sat down beside me for the very first time.
I reached out to hold you and knew
That those long days of waiting were through.

So we walked in the sun and we walked in the rain
Through the gray city streets and down green country lanes.
We hiked on the sand dunes, we walked through the fields.
You led me and showed me the way
And I’m so glad that you’re here to stay.

Many paths lie before us through darkness and light.
But if you’re here beside me than I’ll be all right.
We’ll stride forth together towards what lies ahead.
We’ll work as a team, you and me
And we’ll learn what true friendship can be.

Now some people sing about fair weather friends
And others sing ballads of love when it ends
But we’ll stay together through thick and through thin.
When the going gets rough, you’ll be there
To stick close by my side everywhere.

So walk on beside me as we go on our way
Through the dark rainy nights
And the bright sunny days.
You’re my steadfast companion,
My friend and my guide
And I’ll always be happy with you by my side.

Suki,
Today you are two years old. Of those two years you have only spent the past two months with me, but it seems we already know each other pretty well and I can’t imagine what things were like without you .
Things were a lot simpler without a dog with me all the time, Getting on busses, getting into taxis, setting out without all the paraphernalia I need to get you through the day, entering turnstiles, revolving doors, elevators. People would leave me alone on the train. Now, as Ariieh z”l said, “Everyone wants to pet my dog.”

And things were a lot harder. I walk faster, I could have never manipulated myself through the dark streets strewn with motorcycles, curbs, pedestrians, and poles, not to mention those damn concrete hemispherical globes they insist upon putting on the sidewalks – without you. You are more than worth all the work and care and hassle that goes into working with a guide dog!

The nice soft cushy dog bed was delivered together with the sack of dog food yesterday, and I think you deserve it. You work hard, and goodness knows you’ll continue to work hard, and you need a nice comfortable bed to get onto at the end of the day.

Yesterday we went to the first meeting of the Israeli Association of the Blind Assisted by Guide dogs. The entire room was filled with dozens of dogs, and Yael and Rotem, entering at the end to pick me up, were totally amazed. But in my unbiased opinion you were the prettiest dog there – even the lovely black poodle Chetz (Arrow) whom I met with his striking lion haircut and his lovely owner Oriah, wasn’t half as pretty. But that’s my unbiased opinion.

So I am looking forward to many years together, Suki. I promise to take good care of you and you take good care of me and we’ll go far.

It sort of seems like any other day, but Bracha says its my birthday. I remember being with my foster family and with Ami, but I guess this is home now. That’s why I break into a mad run around the house every time we come back from one of our trips. I guess I just want to let my energy out after working all day and I’m glad to be back home.
Bracha took the fluffy bed out of its cellophane wrapper last night and put it down. She explained to me that she didn’t buy me the pink striped one because it was too small, and either my ears or my tail would be draped all over the floor.
So I’m happy with this one. At first I wasn’t sure what it was because it was so springy, but it was nice and soft. But she put it in the place where I sleep in the living room. That left me no choice but to stand and bark softly until she got the message that I wanted the bed in the bedroom next to hers where I like to sleep at night. I do like to keep an eye on things and that way I can immediately get her up in the morning when I wake up. So she moved it in there and then I curled up on it and was happy and went right to sleep.

But the best present was that Bracha wrote me a song! I’m so happy! She must love me an awful lot.


Wow, this is the life! A new bed! Thanks, Bracha!

2 comments:

  1. She looks like a wonderful dog. Why do you have her chained up? That's cruel! And the bed is too small for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bracha, that was a wonderful poem.
    Happy birthday (belated) Suki!
    And "tidchashi" on the bed! It looks great.
    Izzy (and Linda)

    ReplyDelete