Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What's in My Dog's Mind?

The more I work with Suki, the more I get to know her and begin to understand what goes through her head. Yesterday while working on the no-curb crossing at the end of the road again, Suki began to stop at the edge where there is no curb, but instead of standing facing the road, she insisted on turning to the right and standing in front of me. I kept pulling her around and pointing ahead. I then realized why she wanted to go that way: to the right there is a flower bed witha curb leading down to the road. Perhaps she wants me to head for the curb, which is a more logical route for her than no curb at all. She has been taught to look for curbs, but she has not been taught to avoid stepping on the flowers…

During yesterday’s play session I called Suki back to me and when she came I presented her with a treat, but she was very excited and grabbed it out of my hand too hard. I yelled “NO!”, crossed my arms, and turned my back on her for a few seconds. If a dog could begin sobbing and saying “I’m sorry, (sniff), I’m sorry!” that was what she would have done. As it was, Suki lay down, put her head on her front paws, and looked as remorseful as a dog can look.

If we reach the corner where we turn right to go to the basketball court and I give her a cue to turn left and head home instead, I can almost imagine a sigh of disappointment as she slowly resigns herself to the fact that there is no play session now and makes the left turn. .

Suki’s wagging tail and the doggie smile as she successfully leads me to a bench at the bus stop or the train station can only be an expression of happiness at being able to do her job, understand what I want and to please me. This is bolstered even more when others are looking on amazed at a dog that puts her nose on a bench when I say “Kisay!” I can almost imagine her saying, “See how smart I am. Bet your dog can’t do that.”

But the head on my knee, the eyes closing, and the sigh of contentment as we lay on the lawn at Ginnosar listening to music, says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment