Saturday, November 3, 2012

Coming Home at Last

Here I am in Ben Ami at last.  I guess this is going to be my new home, and so far it looks pretty good.  The last day of the course was very exciting.  We were all dropped off in the middle of the marketplace in Ramla, and we had to make our way from there to the courthouse by ourselves.  Bracha asked directions a couple of times and we made it all the way there without any trouble.  She didn't see Rafi standing at the entrance to the market, making sure no one walked into the busy street by mistake.  A nice woman helped us cross the busy intersection and before we knew it we had found the courthouse and I walked up the steps to the entrance!
In the evening we were all sitting in the lounge and suddenly Tali, my pupy raiser, walked in!  I was so excited that I forgot all the rules and jumped up on my hind legs, but Bracha realized I was excited, and didn't tell me to stop.  Later Tali took me outside for a walk, and we were happy to see each other again.  I know my place is with Bracha now and that I have a job to do, but Tali and Bracha exchanged phone numbers and promised to meet.  Bracha wants to show Tali what a great guide dog I am by letting her see me work while I am in harness, and I hope that will make her happy and proud.. 
The next morning everyone said goodbye and Ami put me in the back of his car and we left Beit Oved behind.  When I woke up we were in Ben Ami, and Nuala was there barking excitedly.  I loved the house with its big patio, and I have a large, soft bed and a basket full of toys!  I am still a bit scared to go into the orchard with its strange rows of trees and different smells.  It's loike a jungle in there!  Bracha takes me there on the leash with  my "halti" and we can enjoy walking together there.  So far I have been to the grocery store and around the block, and we've even crossed the busy highway at the stoplight.  Next week Bracha will take me to Nahariya and Rafi and Natanel will help me learn the way up and down the main street.  And later we will take the train all the way to Tel Aviv!  I know I can handle all these places, but I admit I have a few things to polish up here at home.  I've made a list to remind myself of things I need to work on:
1. No barking at delivery men, other dogs, guests, or jackals.  I am not a watchdog.
2.  No pulling the leaves off potted plants.  I have toys to chew on.
3. No pulling on the leash when walking to heel.


I promise to do my best, and I know Bracha is happy with me and proud of me...even if I goof off sometimes.  AFter all, I am a rambunctious two-year-old dog, and Bracha would not want a dog who behaves all the time.  I know that.  She's told me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment