Thursday, November 8, 2012

Learning New Routes

Part of the challenge of being a new guide dog is learning all the routes where Bracha has to go.  We've already pretty much covered Nahariya, and I know how to find the stoplight where we cross the street.  What I don't quite understand is why there are always so many people standing in front of the machine that Bracha calls "Bank".  I need to get up to this machine and put my nose next to it so that Bracha knows we've gotten there, and there are always people blocking my way.  I know this is what Bracha wants, because when I go up to the machine she clicked the clicker and gave me a treat.
Yesterday we began working in Tel Aviv, and believe me, my head was so full of new things by the end of the day that all I wanted to do was lie down on the carpet on the train and sleep.  First we marked out a route with Rafi and Natanel's help inside Azrieli center.  Bracha told me she used to go walking around and around in there, getting lost and confused.  Now all she has to do is get to the top of the moving stairs with me.  Then she can either direct me to go down the stairs to the taxi stand, go straight to the door that leads to the bridge and the bus stop, or go out the passageway to the train station.  Then we went to Ramat Gan, where we marked out the route from the bus stop into the train station sleeve.  I don't know why Bracha felt this route was so complicated, and why she used to get so upset trying to find her way inside at night. Now we can zip through there past the stock exchange and into the tunnel with me leading.  I know all these places now, because Rafi and Natanel walked us through there and when I found the places I heard the clicker and Bracha gave me a treat again!
Then we went to my grandparents' house.  They were very excited to see me, and I know they liked my wandering around exploring the apartment.  We even made it to Rotem's house in Kiryat Ono, and that was somewhere that Bracha barely knows.  So now I think we can get just about anywhere! 
Things I have to work on:
Oh yes, pulling on the leash
Agreeing to go into the avocado orchard.
Getting into strange cars with strange smells
Barking.  Woof!

No comments:

Post a Comment