Sunday, October 24, 2010

Suki the Desert Dog



I like this place they call the desert. Bracha took me down there by train again, but this time Yagu' the guide dog in training was not there. He's been returned to Beit Oved to begin his training. I hope he makes it through.

Everything in the desert smells different. There is a sort of dusty smell of desert soil and a scent like I smelled once on the mountain near Adamit where goats wander about. I soon learned what made this strange goat smell. There were some other animals there and I can't quite figure out what they are. They have large horns on their heads and at first I didn't know whether to be afraid of them or not. The moment their scent reached me I stopped in my tracks and planted all four feet on the ground and Bracha had to really coax me to move on down the path. I just didn't know whether I could tend with those horns, and they were a lot bigger than me. Bracha said they were called ibexes and wouldn't hurt me, and I sat and stared at one of them and he stared back at me. They were strange and beautiful.

But we were a long way from home. On Saturday night we rode the bus to a train station and we got on a train and rode for twice as long as we usually do. Bracha was a bit worried that I would be uncomfortable on the train for so long, but I really managed all right and slept through most of the ride. But it was good to get home to my own bed. I like traveling, but there is no place like home. And now I'm happily situated on the front patio. But that's because I went in the open sprinkler and got nice and wet and muddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment