Friday, October 8, 2010

I hope you're not angry, but...

It had been a rough morning. First we went to the new pool to see about getting membership and letting me in. First the guard would not open the turnstile for Bracha to even enter the building, and Bracha had to tell them nicely that I was a guide dog and we wanted to come in to discuss joining the pool. When we got in, , the secretary said, "Sure, you can bring your dog here. You can tie her up outside at the bike rack."

Bracha explained that this was not a solution. I would be out in the hot weather and the rain and besides, someone might steal me. I am, after all, rather attractive.

Then Bracha's friend went in to talk with the manager and explained the situation. He said he'd call the Ministry of Health to clarify the matter. Bracha offered to save him a phone call. The Ministry of Health would tell him that no dogs were allowed - except for guide dogs, who are allowed everywhere. From there we went to get a taxi back to Nahariya, and the driver refused at first to take us. He claimed he was allergic to dogs. Bracha was in a hurry and got pretty agitated about having to waste time arguing.

And if that wasn't all, the life guard at the regular pool walked over to the jaccuzi to speak to Bracha.

"I hope you're not angry," he said, "but I just gave your dog a piece of candy."

OK. I admit it. I ate it. And if Bracha had been around to see I know she would have said no. And I admit to taking advantage of the situation. Bracha told him that she was not angry (though I think she was) but told him under no uncertain terms was he to feed her dog again.

So her friend who had told her that morning that she sounded just a bit aggressive when people got tough with us and told us we could not come in began to realize just what a typical morning is like walking around with a large wuite guide dog and deal with ignorant stupid people. It gets tiring. No won der Bracha gets aggressive sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment