Monday, October 18, 2010

Fighting Our Way into the Pool

Here we go again. It's time to switch swimming pools. Bracha wants to go to the pool at Country Gan Evron because sometimes people will drive her there and it's easier. And the people at Nahariya aren't treating us very well lately. Yesterday I listened in when Bracha talked to the manager on the phone. He said he had clarified things and that the Ministry of Health had a law that prohibits animals from entering the pool. (sigh). Bracha explained to him that guide dogs were an exception to that law and offered to refer him to the Law Against Discrimination Against Blind People Accompanied by Guide Dogs, but he told her to listen and be quiet. Then he said he had two reservations about letting us in: the first was that I might attack someone (at this I had to go into the other room because I was laughing so loud) and the second was that other customers might object and leave the pool, causing him economic setbacks to his business.
Bracha was, I could see, on the verge of losing patience with this nonsense, but she told him calmly that she felt that as the head of a business it was his duty to obey the law of the Knesset and that his other clients should also learn the law and understand it. She suggested he put a sign in the entrance to the pool with a picture of a guide dog so that the people and the guards would know about us going in. He said no, he didn't want to make a "festival" around me. Putting up a sign stating what the law is about doesn't seem to be a festival to me. It's a fact.
So finally he and Bracha came to an agreement that she would pay for a month's entrance and I would be with her all the time at the pool. If, after a month, everyone was satisfied she would buy a membership. Bracha decided to go for it. She explained to me that it was a win win situation for us. Either he lets us in after a month, or if he tries to throw us out and claims that his customers don't like it, than bye bye see you in court! Then we will get the Aguda to intervene. I wish I could tell him that he'd better let us in or he will be sorry, just like the owner of that restaurant that didn't let a guide dog in and it was all over the newspapers. I dare say that will do his business a lot more harm than clients who would leave the pool because they don't like my being there.

Hey, if clients don't like swimming in a pool when I am sleeping next to the side of the pool, maybe they would like to swim in the sea all winter, or perhaps in their own bathtub at home. Bracha and I will swim wherever we like, and I promise to be well behaved.

No comments:

Post a Comment