Thursday, February 10, 2011

Shaping Up

Bracha and I are still working hard on my discipline at home. And I know I'm doing much better because I get praised when I come quickly when Bracha calls me. We've done a lot of obedience lessons in the yard - more than usual - and I sit still while Bracha walks all around the big hedge of bamboo, disappears, and then comes back again to find me exactly in the right place. So I know things are improving and I can do it. I also walked all the way from the pool back to Nahariya and helped get out of the way of several bike riders and even a police car that was parked across the entire sidewalk. A policewoman helped Bracha and me walk around the car because we had to walk in the road. It was just like in training when something blocks the entire sidewalk and you have to go into the street.

Now that I've told you how good I've been, I have to tell you about something that I did that was really out of order. I made Bracha fall down. I still feel awful about it and know it won't happen again. Here's what happened. We arrived at the place in Tel Aviv where all the guide dog people meet. We got out of the taxi and there was Sheleg, a really nice dog who belongs to Oren. And I made a run for him while Bracha was holding onto my harness! Bracha went flying and fell down. She just looked at me when she got up and said "NO!" and "ARTZA!" I lay down and put my head on my paws. Then she crossed her armas and looked down at me. I was so sorry that if I could sob I would have burst into tears. And Sheleg kept romping with me while Bracha was talking to the others all day, so I had to stay in the office, rather than be in the room with Shadow, Sheleg, Tommy, Alice, Disney, Jamie, and Wendy. I deserved it.
So I promise to be good. I know I'm a big powerful dog and I can hurt Bracha if I'm not careful. And Bracha has talked to me about it, and I've promised again and again. No rough-housing near Bracha. No lunging or running when I'm in harness. I know it's important. Bracha has to be able to trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment