Thursday, February 17, 2011

Going Down the Stairs

I know it's not logical. But every time we get to the top of the stairs at the train station, I stop. This can be very disconcerting for Bracha if we are in a hurry to catch a train. The people in Nahariya are always there to open the gate for us rather than letting us make our way through the turnstile. Sometimes the train is directly in front of us and when Bracha tells me "Suki, to the door!" we pop over to the door, I stand in front of it, and we open it and get on. Other times Bracha insists upon going down the stairs, through the underground tunnel and up the other side to another train - even though there is a train on the platform in front of us! I don't like this. I stand at the top of the steep stairs and they lead down into the dark tunnel and I don't want to go. I know Bracha does not want to pull me forward down the stairs. That would be a dangerous thing to do. Food might get me to go a step or two and even the clicker will coax me down one more step, but I balk something awful. I don't like it down there. Even petting me and speaking to me softly doesn't make me feel better.
Bracha checked everything: Is my collar or harness too tight so that when I go down the stairs I feel uncomfortable? Nope.
Are the stairs slippery or do they make me feel unsure of my footing? Nope.
Is there something at the bottom of the stairs I don't like? Bracha doesnot know. She can't see what's down there from the top and can't smell like I can. And I can't tell her.
Do I think that she's making a mistake by not getting on the train and choosing to go down the stairs? I may be a smart-alek golden retriever and maybe I think I know which train is the right one, but Bracha says that is not for me to decide.
"Suki!" Bracha said, "Are we going to have to call Ami and consult with him?" Now that means that this is definitely unacceptable and getting out of hand. So next time we are in town we are going to go to the station and give the stairs a good going over when we are not in a hurry. I promise to try. Anything but being reported to Ami!

No comments:

Post a Comment