Friday, June 25, 2010

Strange Surroundings

Bracha's mother (Savta Miriam to me) is now recuperating from a broken femur in the hospital in Tel Aviv, and we spent a lot of time traveling and visiting this week. I've gotten a lot of practice riding those crowded little rooms with sliding silver doors that go up and down and whose doors seem to begin to close too quickly just as we are walking through, and Bracha stands in the entrance and makes sure that I am safely inside and sitting down facing the doors. I think Bracha is a little scared of riding in these things with me, but we've gotten better at it. There was one of those rooms at Beit Oved, and I remember Ami telling Bracha how to get me safely in and out of them so that we would not get caught in the doors! There are lots and lots of them but they are all the same. I memorized, the way from the taxi stand through the building, out the other end, and into the next doorway and on to the little rows of silver doors that open up and the way to Savta's bed, so that we get there quickly every time. I know that Bracha was very proud of me for doing this!

I soon became a model dog – curling up quietly under Savta's hospital bed and coming up to her occasionally to offer a cold nose or gingerly raise a paw to the edge of the bed in encouragement. I was soon greeted by the entire ward staff and all of them came to recognize me from one visit to the next. One nurse started with that "Hey…" that usually is followed by some effort to get me out, but Bracha spoke to her quietly and politely and she said that Savta could come and stay there until she got better and that I would be welcome. I know that Bracha would never allow Savta to be in a place where I cannot come visit. I consider myself an integral part of anything that goes on, since I have to be there. Now Savta is being moved to a place called Ree hab, and now I'll have to memorize a completely new route. Child's play.

So here's what we need when we travel: Bracha has a special knapsack and we never go out without it:

  • Water – it's hot outside and Bracha and I need to drink.
  • My shoes (in case the pavement gets really hot)
  • My collapsible water bowl (always impresses people on trains and station platforms)
  • Several "Saki Kaki" bags in case I, well you know…er…
  • A portion of my food in case we won't be getting home in time
  • A bag of treats – easier to get me up from sleeping on the floor of the bus than dragging me by my collar. I've gotten Bracha pretty well – conditioned into giving me one, and then I get up in a jiffy! And frankly, I think I deserve them.
  • A florescent green floor rag that can be spread on the floor of taxis where I sit. This way drivers can't complain about my fur shedding.
  • The rest of the bag is filled with things for Bracha. But that's not as important as my stuff…After all, Bracha can't go anywhere without me!

No comments:

Post a Comment