Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Morning Without Suki

There are a few things that it is difficult to do with a guide dog. One is swimming in the sea when you like to go far out and stay in the water for a good half hour or so. I cannot leave Suki on the beach, and when a neighbor offered me a ride to town and back, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and go for a swim. Armed with my cane, which I always hated and still hate, I headed for the beach. It was strange not to have harness in hand, and the commands that I would ordinarily give Suki ran through my mind as I navigated my way down the sidewalk, occasionally bumping into people who were not careful enough to walk around me. No dog to wind her way through and avoid people!

The swim was lovely. I decided to try a few more things that are difficult with Suki in hand like shopping for clothes and walking through the crowded bakery. So I also managed to go to the bakery, the supermarket, and get a couple of new shirts. But by the time the little jaunt to town was over, I missed Suki badly. As always, I felt far less confident without her, and even though people at stoplights offered their help, I felt far less independent and happy with a cane than I do with my dog.

Coming home again, I was greeted by an enthusiastic golden retriever who had made short work of further demolishing her kong that I had filled with peanut butter. (It's time for a new one!) Once in a while it's nice to go for a long swim. But I'm so glad I have Suki.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment