Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Some things I can get used to..


The main road in Ben Ami after the wadi overflowed its banks! Suki, puzzled by the fact that the curbs have suddenly disappeared, was, for once, confused.

And some things I can't.

I know now that I can ride in taxis, cars, busses and trains and behave beautifully. I know I can find ATM machines, a seat on the train, Aroma, Yaron's office, anything Bracha wants me to find. I get praised and wag my tail every time because I know I'm doing my job. I even sit quietly with the life guards at the pool when Bracha swims because it's too wet for me to go outside on the patio and sleep there. And I still LOVE escalators!

But all this rain and water really freaked me out. When we got back to Nahariya yesterday and got off the train there was so much water that I could not find the curb. I got all confused, and instead of the street there was something like a river flowing. It was noisy and I got a bit scared, and Bracha had to yell "Hup up!" over the noise and make me go across, and our feet got wet.

And today in the yard everything looked different, too. Instead of the grass and the drainage ditch, there was nothing but water! It was running and gushing and I didn't know what to make of it, and Bracha wanted to watch it and take pictures of it with her camera, but I just stood there because I was so disoriented and confused. And the patio where I lie in the sun is now filled with water. I hope it doesn't stay this way for good. It's no place for a dog. It's a place for ducks!

I was somewhat disappointed in the behavior of the man at Aroms yesterday. He was walking around not doing much, so he must have been the manager. He came over and pointed to me and said, "Your dog..."

"What about my dog?" asked Bracha.

"What kind of dog is it?"

"It's a golden retriever. She's a guide dog," said Bracha. I think she didn't know what he wanted. But it soon became clear enough.

"Can you please go over and sit in that area?"

Bracha couldn't even see where the heck he wanted us to go, but she'd already settled us down in the corner and I was all tucked under the table out of everyone's way, so she said, "Excuse me. I think I have the right to sit wherever I want just like everyone else."

I was glad Bracha stood up to him because I'd already settled down for a quick nap and I really didn't feel like getting up. The man turned to go away and then they called Bracha's name to go get her sandwich, and the man must have realized he'd been out of line, because he brought Bracha her tray to the table and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment