Monday, January 25, 2010

It's Well Worth it to Be a Guide Dog...



I think I’m finally getting over one of the things I am afraid of. That wagon and tractor in the orchard…well, I just couldn’t fathom what it was all about. I saw it there and even though I really wanted to walk, I just couldn’t bring myself to go past it. Maybe I was afraid it would start moving, or make a loud noise like that horrible bang that truck made last week, or that the dogs I saw on it once would come back again. But Bracha realized what it was that was bothering me, and she started the whole irresistible routine of making me go forward using the clicker. Slowly, but surely, we approached the wagon and tractor. Then we got there and, er, well, I really didn’t understand what it was that was bothering me so much about it. We walked all around it slowly, and Bracha let me sniff the wheels and tractor, just to prove that it isn’t dangerous. Then she patted the floor of the wagon and I jumped up into it, and she told me I was a good dog! The world looked a bit different from up there!

So I guess I’ll have to overcome these things that I’m afraid of. There are so many things I’m not sure of, and I have a lot of responsibility, and I work hard…and sometimes it’s wet and cold outside and my fur gets drenched and I feel cold and miserable. But I guess I can’t complain. After all, at the end of a hard day I usually get a run and time to play. And now I get to stretch out in front of the fire on cold winter nights and keep warm and dry. So I can hardly complain. It’s well worth it to be a guide dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment