Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Getting Checked Out

Yesterday Bracha and I went to Tel Aviv on the train to meet Y. from Beit Oved.  The idea was for her to see how we are getting on and how we are working together.  Well, she saw some things that were very good and some things that need improvement.  As Bracha explained, I get a bit excited and energetic at times, and that makes me lurch ahead - even if there are a lot of people around.  And I admit that I like to skirt over to the edge of the sidewalk, where interesting things lurk such as crumbs and papers to sniff.  I know this is out of bounds and Bracha is going to keep me in the center where I should be.  So Bracha and I made some decisions together.  We discussed it, and agreed on the following:
I will keep to the center of the sidewalk when I am reminded to do so.
If I'm too excited Bracha will try and let me have a short run in the yard before we go out.  That will help me let out some energy and keep us from getting into a struggle to slow down.
If I can't have a run Bracha will put my Halti on sometimes.  I don't like it, but it's better than Bracha pulling on my leash.  And Bracha's arm is getting sore!  That's not fair to her.
Bracha will reward me when I walk nicely and slow down.
Now at home I clearly need some better defined boundaries.  I've been getting into far too much mischief.  Bracha loves mischief and would not like a dog that does nothing wrong, but I must admit we got a bit out of hand stealing tomatoes and oranges out of the basket and rolling them onto the rug.  So the kitchen is being declared OUT OF BOUNDS.  That means I get fed in the entryway so there will be no doubt as to where I am allowed to go.  I'm allowed all of my toys, and I guess that will be enough.  I promise to try.  I know Bracha loves me a lot, and I want to do my best.
And now I am soft and fluffy because Bracha gave me my first bath at home!  And she even told me a secret last night - we are going to England!  And we will be the first Israeli guide dog team to go there because until now guide dogs were not allowed to enter the UK!  We'll be making our own little piece of history!

No comments:

Post a Comment