Saturday, March 19, 2011

Happy Purim - but Rough on Guide Dogs

I knew it was a mistake to go into town yesterday. Hoping to meet Carol and wipe up a humus out in the sun and spend a pleasant Friday afternoon, we soon discuvered that the Purim celebrations were underway already and that no quiet was to be had. Purim is lots of fun - but not for guide dogs. We made it into town after being dropped off far away because no taxis were allowed in. There were no cars on the streets, but I had to push Bracha aside from several bikes on the sidewalk. But there was loud music, the sidewalks were crowded with people, and strollers were everywhere. It was lots of fun for the people, but not for me. First of all, large balloons kept lobbing in front of me, and boys fired off little guns that made loud explosions that made me jump and startled me constantly. Little children shouted and grabbed at me all the time. I was not trained for this and soon became very worn out. Loud music played everywhere, making it impossible for me to hear what Bracha told me to do. Maneuvering among the people on the sidewalk was nearly impossible. Bracha soon realized that I was having a hard time and decided to leave. I was so happy to get in a taxi and head for home, where I stretched out happily in the sunshine.

So Happy Purim everyone! Enjoy yourselves! I think I'll stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment