Friday, March 11, 2011

Dog in the Rain

It hasn't stopped raining for four days. The entire front yard is a muddy mess, and the drainage ditch at the edge of the road is filled with running water. Bracha would love to take me to the river to see all the water, but we can't seem to get that far without getting caught in the rain again. She's promised me that we'll go as soon as the rain stops, but it doesn't. Even in Tel Aviv it rained, and I stood dejectedly at the bus stop watching cars speed by spewing water up onto the sidewalk. It was nice to lie in the office of the Aguda with Turner, Lady, and Alice, all three of us under the table keeping warm and dry.

Petel and LIron got caught in the middle of Menachem Begin Blvd. this week and a passing car halted just short of them. Petel had not exercised her job of disobeying a wrong command, or did not hear or see the car coming. These new cars are very quiet, and we have to be extra watchful! It is harder for dogs who live in the city to remain alert when there is constant heavy traffic. Me, I'm a country dog, and notice oncoming cars more. It must be harder for Petel, who must constantly remain on alert. Even Ami understands how hard we dogs work and how difficult our job is and how easy it is to be lax for a moment when we constantly have to watch for cars.

Now, I was very good yesterday and everyone we met on the train cooed over me, petted me, and admired me. I popped out from between the seats at Binyamina and made my usual appearance, first shaking myself as noisily as I could, and then stretching with my front paws on the ground and my rear end in the air. Then I proceeded to get all the petting I could get. And on the way home the driver in the taxi was afraid of me, so I sat quietly with Bracha on the floor of the back seat on my little towel, and he didn't mind.

And oh my. It's still raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment