Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Feeling a bit Under the Weather

Suki's tummy ache no doubt stemmed from that bad habit dogs have of snatching anything up from the sidewalks, whether it is good for them or not. After reading horrifying stories on the Internet about life-threatening ailments of the canine digestive system, I realized that I was suffering from an acute case of over-information. The dog was active and far from lethargic, and her tail continued to wag. She would have cheerfully continued to eat had I given her the opportunity, was not in pain and not seriously ill. So I did what I had been told to do – I refrained from feeding Suki for a day. Sounds easy. It was not. When feeding time came for my perpetually hungry golden retriever, those soft dark eyes implored, "Where's my dinner already?" while the tail wagged and the paws rested pleadingly on my thigh. I stood firm, and gave her a bowl of rice water (with a few grains of rice in it). And this morning Suki was as good as new. I gave her a small bowl of rice just to make sure, and in the evening she got a real meal – half of her usual food quantity with more rice. I think we're back to normal.

I admit I did feel more than a bit yucky when we returned from Rehovot. So Bracha put me on a one day fast! I begged and pleaded, but she stood firm. No food today until my tummy settled down. And the next day she gave me this funny white stuff instead of my real food. I was a bit out of it walking around town this morning. I kept searching the sidewalks for some morsel or other, but Bracha's hand on the harness was firm and did not let me wander over to those little piles of rubbish I love to explore. This afternoon she finally she gave me some of my real food again mixed with the stuff. When we walked to the store after I finally got a meal, and Bracha bought herself an ice cream. She stopped to talk to someone, and a little piece melted and fell down, and – well you know the rest.

I guess I'll never change. But I have decided that it's worth it to cooperate and have my teeth brushed. It's worth the treat afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment