Monday, February 22, 2010

Who's Allowed and Who's Not

I wonder how the people make the criteria for deciding who's allowed in stores and restaurants and who's not. I mean, wouldn't it be logical to say that whoever makes noise and disturbs should not be allowed, and whoever sits quietly is? After all, why make a generalization about dogs? As an American blogger put it, why shouldn't dogs be allowed in restaurants? After all, the dog is on the floor and the food is on the table, so unless you plan on eating on the floor or putting the dog on the table, there should be no problem.

Twice the guard at the entrance to stores stopped Bracha and told her I was not allowed. She showed him the little card with the law and he quickly capitulated. And when we got to the restaurant we explained that I was a guide dog and they let us in. We soon settled down at a table and I was quite tired from traveling all day, so I crawled under the table and went to sleep. Meanwhile, a small child was screaming at the next table, making any conversation impossible. So he was quite a bother, but I didn't hear anyone telling his mother, "He's not allowed here."

Go figure.

Now, on to other more fun things. I have discovered the river. It has rushing water and I love to stand in it and get my feet wet. Now, I don't mind being really wet – so wet I have to shake myself off. After all, I am a golden retriever and retrievers were supposed to have been bred to retrieve fishing nets and ducks out of the water. But I do hate being just a little bit wet like when Bracha sprays me with flea repellent or that smelly stuff that makes my fur smooth and untangles my tail. YUCK.

But Bracha bought me something mew today – a toothbrush and toothpaste. She gave me a taste of the stuff to start. I wonder if I'm gonna like this…

1 comment:

  1. When I raised a guide dog puppy, I went to the manager of the supermarket near me, and asked for permission to bring the puppy into his store. (Guide dog puppies have no legal rights, as you probably know.)I assured him i would clean up if Zita peed, and pay for whatever she ate.
    He told me..."i'm sure i'll have less damage from your dog than I have from lots of humans that come through my store. You and Zita are welcome in my store." He was such a nice guy!

    Yeah..people are so prejudiced about dogs. But you know, in Tel Aviv they are much more dog friendly and you can take them into some restaurants.

    ReplyDelete