Friday, February 5, 2010

Dog Cold!

Boy, am I glad I have fur! In fact, I think I could sometimes use a little more. It's very cold outside and I could tell Bracha was not too pleased at having to take me out at 6:00 this morning. It was cold and barely light, and she took off her bright red boots and crawled right back into bed again.

But we did get out, and the wind made my ears fly as we walked and blew through my fur. Bracha made me a new toy: a couple of tennis balls inside an old sock, and I had a great time chasing it outside. Who needs expensive toys? These homemade toys, or even an old plastic bottle, make me just as happy.


I've learned to pull them out of my basket where all my bones, my kong, and other toys are kept. Now Bracha says I have to learn to put my toys away and not just take them out. We'll have to work on that.


It is February 5th. Suki has been at home with me for three months! It is hard to believe, but I think we are well on the way to successfully working together.

Here is an ad from Beit Oved for a new dog trainer. People who train guide dogs and teach people to work with them require a wide variety of traits:
. If you believe that endless patience brings immediate results – your place is with us! The Israeli Center for Guide Dogs for the Blind is looking for a new trainer and mobility teacher.
Teachers of mobility using guide dogs are responsible for the following:
- Training guide dogs until they are ready to work independently with a blind person.. Teaching blind people to work with and care for their dogs in courses conducted in the center, or individually at home.
- Accompanying the blind person and their dog, offering professional assistance and home care.
Participating in the process of assessing candidates for receiving guide dogs and evaluating dogs suitable for training..
Taking part in public relations activities for increasing awareness of the use of guide dogs and other tasks performed by the staff..
Qualifications:
Candidates must be under 30 years of age with an academic degree.
. Candidates must be in excellent physical condition and be able to walk strenuously for many hours in all types of weather conditions.
Candidates must be prepared to work long hours under pressure, and to work on weekends..
Personal maturity and ability to cope with sensitive and complex situations..
Excellent work ethics and ability to work independently, self motivation..
Ability to control large dogs
Problem-solving ability, initiative, and ability to improvise..
Ability to organize and conduct training.
Ability to work in a team and excellent human relations.
Ability to cope with pressure and burnout.
Ability to guide others, and to make public appearances.
Good written and oral communication skills.
Driver's license.

I would say guide dog owners need just as many traits, too. but it's late. We'll get to that another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment