Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Hot Paws and Hot Tempers

There certainly seem to be a lot of people around who don't like me. Or who are just ignorant. Every store we walked into this morning had someone in the doorway who didn't like my going in. Bracha brushed off the first guard in the clothing store who told her I wasn't allowed, and a woman from the cash register called to him to stop bothering her, and he scuttled away with, "I just said that without thinking..." Bracha agreed with him.

But the big supermarket was something else. We went inside to get out of the heat and stand quietly in the entrance to wait for Bracha's friend to drive us home. And the guard starts up with the usual stuff about no dogs allowed. Bracha told him he was wrong.

"The manager says that it's forbidden."

Ah, the manager says so?? Than bring me the manager please, says Bracha. And up he comes.

"Sorry, but the Ministry of Health has a law that no dogs are allowed in stores where there is food being sold."

Bracha got out her little card with the law on it. She explained that he was wrong and that guide dogs are allowed everywhere. Including in food stores. But the man didn't even want to read the law. Then Bracha got really angry. I think she'd had enough from the other day in the clothing store and oh, yes, there was also the security guard at the train station who told her I needed a muzzle. Just exactly how much of this crap Bracha is willing to put up with without really losing it is well, I soon found out because Bracha really lost it. She told him that he was wrong, that not letting a blind person into the store to shop was against the law and punishable by a ten thousand Shekel fine, and that as manager it was a disgrace that he did not know the law. "I expect to be greeted here with hello and good morning just like every other customer," she yelled. He then snidely said good morning. I think Bracha is going to contact the company and complain. Soon customers were coming over to tell Bracha she was right, ask her if she needed help, and to ask to pet me. I lay down on the air conditioned cool floor and went to sleep. But I did notice that when I looked up at the ceiling there were birds flying around, and bracha kept swatting at flies that were landing on her. So why was this manager so concerned about me with the food? I don't make dirt in the store. WEhy are the birds and flies allowed but me no? I just don't get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment