Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ups and Downs

After tackling the city bus yesterday morning, it was now time to tackle the mall and moving stairs. I had read on the Internet that it was dangerous to take a guide dog on an escalator. Nightmares of doggie claws getting caught in the cracks between the steps had me feeing rather jittery as I stood at the feet of the escalator in the mall with Ami. I was soon to learn that - just like the simulated traffic hazards - Suki could handle it, and my fears would be assuaged.

I will begin with saying that I hate malls. The brightly lit and noisy space, the . white floors and glass doors and the bright flashing lights present a jumble of confusing and wearying surroundings. People mill around, loudspeakers and music blare, and it is all disorienting. I usually want to leave as quickly as possible. Ami and I entered the mall and he produced an old-fashioned key with a circle at one end and a flat tab at the other - this was the shape of the layout of the mall that I could hold and feel. I now had a layout of the mall in my head and knew where I was going. He pointed to the place where the cylinder of the key joined the circle. "Here's where the escalator is." ."

When we got there Ami explained how to make sure the escalator was moving in the right direction by checking out the direction the handrail was moving, then drop the handle of Suki's harness, hold the leash close, and step onto the moving stairs with the dog. I put a foot forward, and off we went. Suki stood next to me on the stair and as we ascended and approached the top I inserted a hand through the top of Suki's harness like grabbing a suitcase. Just before we reached the end of the the escalator I lifted Suki up slightly off the ground into the air - just enough to allow her front paws to safely clear the dreaded crack where the steps disappear underneath! That was all there was to it. We got off and Suki received the praise she deserved.
The dogs have been trained to love moving stairs by being encouraged with tidbits and rewards each time they ride them, and they are now eager to get on one at any time. It seemed that for Suki it was like going on the roller coaster at an amusement park - lots of fun! We rode back down and then up again, paraded around the second floor of the mall, and settled down in a coffee hshop to wait for the others.

Moral of the story: You can't learn swimming by correspondence, and you can't learn to work with a guide dog on the Internet! Not everything you read about them is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment