Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Dog Suki!

I am now sitting in the students' lounge in Beit Oved with Suki at my feet relaxing after a morning's walk and training session. When I arrived on Sunday I was shown my former room and got unpacked, waiting eagerly for the moment when Ami would enter and give Suki to me.

There are three people on this course: Moshe, who was on the previous course with me who now has Sunny, and Litron, a young lawyer from Tel Aviv who has Petel, the dog I had on the short evaluation course.

The first meeting was largely about legal matters oregarding the contract that each guide dog owner has with the Center and the legal obligations of each side. Stories of lost dogs that had been retrieved quickly, others that had not, and other tales made me realize what a valuable piece of doggie I am being given on a permanent loan.

Ami then issued each of us a new leather dog harness and a plastic bag with a collar, leash, brush, whistle, and other supplies that we will need. This was almost as exciting as getting the dog - it was really beginning to happen.

The next morning after breakfast we were told to go to our rooms and prepare to receive our dogs. I waited with what I can only describe as pure excitement. There was a knock on the door.

"Yes, Ami!"

Ami entered with Suki, detached her from the leash and Suki walked into the room. I reached out for her for the first time.

"Bracha, here's Suki. Good luck!"

Shaking with excitement, I hugged Suki and stroked her lovely fur. She is what I describe as French vanilla ice cream colored, with slightly darker ears and a feathery tail. I soon had two front paws on my shoulders and a wet tongue licking my face. (The jumping up will have to be discouraged, but for the moment I did what we had been told and gave her only affection, with no discipline.

Days here are spent doing two walks in town, walking the obstacle courses on campus, lectures, and other activities. There never seems to be a dull moment. I can still hardly believe that this beautiful dog who has been so wonderfully trained to lead me through the streets - even blindfolded - is really mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment