Monday, June 17, 2013

Off on a New Adventure

Well, I guess this is it.  Bracha has closed the large suitcase, and I know very well that my little yellow pumpkin toy is insice it.  So I hope it will be there when we get to New York and Pennsylvania, because I want it so much!  See?  It's right there next to Bracha's drinking bottle.  And we are off on a new adventure.  Bracha has promised me lots of good times and interesting places, and it's even worth having to skip my dinner tonight and then get on the plane where I will have to stay for 12 hours or so.  But I know that if Bracha is with me things will be OK. 
Now, I know that today Bracha is also a bit sad, because Suki died a year ago tomorrow.  I will be there for her, resting my head in her lap, and reminding her that she has me all the time and that I love her just as SUki did.  I am so different than Suki, but there are a lot of things that I do that remind her of SUki a lot, and I know that Bracha likes that a lot.  So here we go on another adventure...

Oh Dinka!


Tonight we leave for New York. It will be an exciting adventure for us and I know I can count on you to help me wherever we go, and to be well-behaved and make me proud of you. June 18th, the day when we will fly out of Tel Aviv and land in New York, is also a year since I lost Suki. I am glad I will be far away, busy doing things with you, because that will make the day go by much more easily for me. You know how much I remember Suki, and how much I still miss her. You also know that I love you just as I loved Suki just lilke I promised I would.

You are a different dog than Suki, but you do many things that acutely remind me of her:! You come to me each morning just as Suki did, stretching first with your rear end up in the air, and then stretching out your back legs with your head in the air, and then thumping your tail against the dresser to wake me up. And you love to lay in the sun on the patio, just as Suki did, steal avocados, and bring me toys. And, of course, you confidently lead me down the street just as Suki did, and I can count on you to do your job. Unlike Suki, who was afraid of squeaky dog toys, you love them and will do anything to get one. You are not scared of the crows in the pecan tree, or the tractor and wagon standing on the road, but I know you hate loud music and being on stage with me, which makes you shake and pant and very unhappy. You never sleep in cars like Suki did, but remain wide awake in cars and taxis, sitting at attention with me and occasionally resting your head on my knee just as Suki used to do. And just like Suki, you love to have an endless line of school children or even kindergartners waiting and filing past, petting you as they go, and you thump your tail loudly on the floor with happiness when they stroke your soft fur.

I think I know you well already, Dinka, and you know me. That same aloofness that I sensed when we first met still exists, but I know that behind that is a deep loyalty and attachment to me. You can be content just sitting next to me, enjoying my hand resting on your back or ruffling the fur between your ears.

So it's a sad time of year for me, Dinka, but I'm glad we are together, setting off on a new adventure. And when we get back I will continue to take care of you, to keep you safe, and occasionally feel like I am walking with two white dogs whom I love.

1 comment:

  1. Bracha and Dinka we wish you a safe and fun trip to America. We hope today wasn't too hard and that the two of you will continue to make happy memories together! We can't wait to read all about your adventures and good times!
    All the best,
    Ruthie and Gemma (guie dog puppy in training)

    ReplyDelete