Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Invisible Dog

Sometimes people are strange. They realize that they've made a mistake and tell Bracha that I'm not allowed somewhere, or that I need a muzzle, or that I have to wait outside. But this was by far the strangest way to weasel out of a blunder I've ever seen.
We were just coming into the bus station in Haifa where the busses let everyone off. This is always a tricky place because the busses don't always stop next to the curb, and then we have to find our way through the people to the security guard. This time there was a woman there.
"Giveret, you have to put a muzzle on your dog."
"No," Bracha says, "She's a guide dog. She doesn't need a muzzle."
The guard looked confused. She stammered and stuttered for a while and then said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see the dog."
So am I invisible?

That aside, it's hot! A day in Tel Aviv is hard for both of us, and walking in the streets is difficult, even with my brightly colored shoes. Bracha stops to give me water all the time. And I'm still thirsty. I inch to one side of the pavement looking for a way to get out of the sun, and when we get on a bus I lay down and luxuriate in the cool air. And we still have all of August and September to go! Even the river is all dried up. All that's left is a pathetic little muddy pool. Thank goodness I have my pool and Bracha's ice cubes to help me cool off!

No comments:

Post a Comment