Friday, September 7, 2012

One Week with a Substitute Dog

When my friend Liron told me that she was going to Mykanos for a week and needed to find a place to leave Petel, I realized that this was a great opportunity for all three of us to benefit: Petel would have a week in the country, Liron would have a solution for caring for Petel, and I would have a dog to care for and enjoy for a week.   So arrangements were made for me to collect Petel and for me to return her to Tel Aviv the following week.
Petel did very well here - she seemed to settle down and was content.  Although I was not sure I would work with her in harness, I soon realized that the temptation was too great to resist, and that I could not walk her and use a cane at the same time.  I realized even more acutely how much I depended on Suki and how much I miss having a guide dog, how difficult it is to get around without one and how lonely it is in the house - even with Nuala here.  Friends, taxi drivers, and other acquaintences greeted me and enthusiastically congratulated me on my new guide dog, and I had to tell them that this was not my new dog - not yet...
I felt a real pang of sorrow when I returned to Tel Aviv, transferred Petel to Liron's neighbor who would bring her home, and then turned away to make my way back to the train station with a cane.  I boarded the train, missing SUki more acutely than I had for a long time.  Even someone else's guide dog is a comfort.  Only five weeks to go until the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment