Thursday, August 9, 2012

Let me Introduce Myself. I'm Dinka.

Gee, I feel a bit shy but I guess it's OK if I put in a few paw prints. I'm Dinka, I'm going to be Bracha's new guide dog, and in a couple of months this will be my blog.
When Rafi brought me into the lounge at Beit Oved yesterday I really didn't latch onto things right away. Rafi told Bracha that I was a bit aloof, and I felt that way at first, even after he handed Bracha my leash and she unclipped me. Suddenly Bracha reached into her purse and pulled out a rope toy and offered it to me. She had bought the toy especially for me to give me at our first meeting! As Rafi said, she knows how to treat dogs and has my needs and desires in mind. I accepted it happily and curled up on the rug to begin chewing. When Bracha got down on the floor next to me I was afraid she'd take it away again, so I moved to a new spot, but soon I let her sit next to me and I knew it would be OK. I turned over and she started scratching my tummy, and found that special place that makes me wiggle my hind leg…that did it. I was a goner.

Soon Bracha reached into her purse and I jumped up and trotted over to see if she had another surprise for me, but she pulled out a camera instead and started taking pictures of me. So here I am for you to see!


When Rafi and Natanel left the room I decided it was time to dispel this "aloof" image of myself, and embarked on a major licking of Bracha's face and hands. After all, Bracha was determined to start bonding with me despite her sadness over losing Suki, and I felt she deserved no less than that from me. I behaved beautifully during the meeting in Noach's office and lay quietly under her chair during lunch. After that Rafi let Bracha and me into a room, and we had some quiet time together and a long talk. Bracha told me a bit more about Suki, and assured me that she was eager to have me and love me. She was a bit tearful talking about Suki, and I lay down on the floor next to her to show her that I understood and would do my best to make her happy again. 
It will be a couple of months before Bracha and I begin training together, and I have a lot more work to do. I was pretty distracted by that puppy Rafi deliberately placed in my path in the hallway, and Bracha gave me a gentle but firm leash correction. She knows what she is doing. But she's promised a lot of fun and play, too. I know that she's telling the truth because we played tug of war with the new toy every time I brought it to her. And between you and me, I heard something about our going to London together. So it looks like I'm in for some adventures even while Bracha and I are still forming our partnership.  
I know I have some pretty big shoes to fill, because this was Suki's blog, and Suki was Bracha's wonderful beautiful dog, but I am determined to do my best. And something tells me I'm into something good.









1 comment: